Sunday, January 7, 2018

Going to Snow Monkey Park

After seeing Matsumato Castle, I spent the night at Southern Cross Inn.  It was inexpensive, conveniently located, clean, and had a buffet breakfast included in the cost.




My next adventure was all about the monkeys.  The Snow Monkeys were made famous by the January 30, 1970 issue of Life Magazine. I wanted to see them for myself.





After breakfast, I headed to the train station and caught the local train to Nagano City.



At the Nagano Station I bought the One Day Snow Monkey Pass (3200 yen), which included the express bus to and from the Snow Monkey Park and the entrance fee to the park.





After getting off the bus, there is a little bit of a walk to get to the park, with signs along the walkway.








The pathway was a little slick, so I had to walk carefully.

















This guy was just outside the park entrance.






As soon as I go through all my monkey photos, I'll have a post about the park.


8 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Looking forward to seeing more of the monkey photos! So exciting!

Leonore Winterer said...

How interesting! I love all the 'us vs. them' signs they put up. IÄm looking forward to some monkey pictures!

Vireya said...

The English signs seem much better here than at some of the other attractions you have visited. I guess a lot of foreigners want to visit the snow monkeys, so they have put some effort into making it accessible to English-speakers.

I'm glad you have some monkey photos - as I was getting towards the end of this post I was afraid you were going to say that you didn't actually see any monkeys except that one guy outside the park!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela wow what a wonderful day i love seeing the snow and those monkeys are so cute xx

Janie said...

That looks like a good hike!
What an adventure Pamela.

Queeniepatch said...

They have improved the signs and information boards a lot. It used to be so much more 'in the wild', with a LONG hike to the hot spa where the snow monkeys live. That was before LIFE magazine, private blogging and special busses to the park made the monkeys famous.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

This is a great and interesting post. Thankfully the signs were in English. I am wondering how you find all of these great places to visit? You are seeing SO much!
xx, Carol

Murphy said...

Wow I was kind of surprised at the cost of admission but all of those great signs show that they're really putting that $ back into the park. Those stairs do look like quite a challenge however!