Thursday, September 7, 2017

Yakushima - A Shrine and a Temple

After visiting Nagoya Castle, I went to the airport and flew to Kagoshima, where I spent the night.  The next morning, I took the ferry from Kagoshima Port to the island of Yakushima. 



In 1993, much of the island was desginated as a UNESCO World Heritage site.  


I've heard it rains 35 days a month on Yakushima. It was raining while I was traveling on the ferry, but stopped after I arrived on the island, leaving it hot and humid. I took a relaxing walk around on the first afternoon and found the local shrine and the local temple.  



Yaku Shrine









Temple








Some other photos from my walk about.











I also located the bus stop for the next day's adventure....


7 comments:

kiwikid said...

Thanks for sharing your adventure, it looks like a lovely place.

Vireya said...

That looks like a fascinating and beautiful place.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela,wow what a beautiful place,so pretty,love the temple,thankyou for sharing my friend xx

Rachel said...

Beautiful! I'm glad you were able to spend some time there without rain. I couldn't imagine an endless month of rain!

I'm surprised you didn't take that kitty home. She's adorable :)

Sheryl said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful photos.

Brigitte said...

Very interesting to see the pictures of the shrine and the temple.

Leonore Winterer said...

That island looks lovely. I hope the remainder of your stay was as relaxing as that first walk!