Sunday, June 11, 2017

Kappore Dance

Last summer I attended the Minato Festival in my town. I saw the kappore dancing and wanted to learn.   I have been attending the two hour dance classes at a local gymnasium on Sunday evenings and trying to practice a little with the YouTube instructional videos. I had no idea how difficult all the dances were! The gym is full of people of all ages - children to elderly.  There are three or four instructors on a stage in front, one with a microphone. I don't understand everything they say, but it is a lot of right, left, step, stop, and similar words that I know.  For the rest, I just try to follow what the people on stage are doing.


Here are videos of the three dance classes I have attended so far. (There is no class tonight so everyone has a break, to practice, I guess.)









Needless to say, I won't be participating in the festival, but I do plan to go and watch.  This year the festival will be held August 4, 5, and 6.

5 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Okay, this is cool! Are these traditional dances or contemporary? They look like great exercise for sure. I love how you involve yourself in the Japanese culture. That is probably why you have so many friends.
xx, Carol

Queeniepatch said...

You need to keep a lot in your mind to follow these instructions! No for me! Great exercise though.

Sheryl said...

This really looks like a fun dance class. I´m on my way :-)

FlashinScissors said...

Gosh! They look like a complete body workout!
I don't think I could do this!
I bet you have a lot of fun doing these!
Well done you!
Barbara x

Leonore Winterer said...

That looks like a lot of fun! Maybe like some kind of Japanese Zumba?