Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Shogi



Have you heard of Shogi, or do you play?  The game of shogi is sometimes called Japanese chess.  After being in Japan almost five years, I have only just recently learned about this game.  This is an intro to the game from Richo.com  




The game has been in the news lately after a high level player was accused of cheating with a smart phone in a tournament.  Shogi apps rival and sometimes outperform human players.


In the past players have been allowed to check their smart phones during lunch breaks and when they leave their seats temporarily.  The Japan Shogi Association has now banned players from bringing smartphones into match venues. The phones must be kept in lockers during the tournament.  The new rules will become effective on December 14th.  Offenders face expulsion from the professional players association.


6 comments:

D1-D2 said...

I used to read a lot of Japanese comics growing up, so I've heard of Shogi but never learned it. I did learn go when I was in college. I always though it was given that cell phone are not allowed during tournament games. Same way they're not allowed when taking exams.

Anonymous said...

Hi Pamela,very interesting.

kiwikid said...

I haven't hear of this game before. It is a shame people feel the need to cheat in these kind of games.

Leonore Winterer said...

Same as D1-D2, I've read a lot about Shogi but never actually looked at the rules. It looks so complicated, although it probably isn't much worse than 'normal' chess!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I have never heard of it. My husband tried to teach me Chess, but he is someone that likes to play HIS pieces and MY pieces too so I gave that up.

I guess it's just in some people's nature to cheat or at least attempt to cheat. Sad.
xx, Carol

Anthea said...

Oh what a shame... the pressure/desire to win causes people to do stupid things! Sounds like an interesting game though.