Thursday, June 16, 2016

Kakegawa Castle

Last Sunday I took the train to Kakegawa.  Luckily there was no need to tranfer trains or rush, so I was able to stay on my feet.  Good thing because my knees are still sore and bruised from the last incident.  Walking from the train station to the castle, I saw this mural on the side of the building depicting a festival.  

I crossed over a stream and there were millions of lilies on both sides. 



As with all castles it seems, there was a steep hike to get to it.  Once inside, there were also very steep steps and three floors.  







This castle was build about 500 years ago by the daimyo (lord) Yoshitada Imagawa. It was destroyed by the earthquake of 1854.  The castle tower was the first in Japan to be rebuilt entirely of wood.  Its height is almost 20 meters.  It is not as large as it appears, with total floor space inside being 305 sq. meters.   The wings and decoration make it appear larger.  From the top floor, there is a grand view of the entire area.  On a clear day, Mt. Fuji can be seen, but unfortunately it was very cloudy the day I visited and I did not see Fuji san.



Inside were several displays including a small stitched piece on the wall.  






I enjoyed my visit and learned a little about Japanese history.


2 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Wonderful pictures. I can see this place is full of history. I would NEVER be able to navigate all those stairs. Do you take these excursions alone?

Pamela said...

Yes, alone. Thanks!