Saturday, May 28, 2016

Youngest Japanese Person to Climb Mt. Everest

This week, 19 year old woman, Marin Minamiya became the youngest Japanese person to climb to the top of 8,848 meter Mt. Everest.  She was part of an 18 member group organized by US based International Mountain Guides. 


Last October she became the youngest woman to climb  Mt. Manaslu, the 8th highest mountain in the world. Next week she will be on her way to Alaska in the United States to climb Denali.


The youngest woman of any nationality to reach the top of Everest is Malavath Purna, who climbed it in 2014 at the age of 13. 


This is the end of this year's Everest season, with over 400 climbers making it to the top since the season began on May 11th. Three climbers died and two others are missing in the last week.  Avalanches and earthquakes cancelled the last two climbing seasons.  


When I was younger, I might have wanted to climb Everest.  I've read many accounts of Everest climbers, especially those from the disasterous 1996 season.  Now I see it as dangerous and painful. Even if I were young enought to do it, I wouldn't.  What about you?  Would you attempt something like this?  You could be famous if you succeed or dead if you don't.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

not me It terrifies me. It amazes me how people can do that -