Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Kendo Tournament

Since moving here, I've been taking a weekly kendo class. Friday there was a big kendo tournament in Takamatsu, so I went to see what it was really all about.  It was so interesting!  I saw all the things our sensei told us about and more.  


This sports arena had six matches going on at the same time.  

Each match (I don't know if that is the correct term in kendo) has three judges, who form a triangle.  I have no idea how the scoring works, but I noticed each judge has two flags.  I think if they all agree, it must be a point.  Sometimes two will raise the flags and the other will wave the flags low in front.  



There is a ritual or formality to how the matches start and end. 

Even though I didn't understand it all, I still enjoyed seeing it.




3 comments:

Unknown said...

So someday will we see you in a tournament. It looks like it is a very serious activity.

KimM said...

WOW! Impressive - I'll bet it was fun to see in person. Thank you for sharing the photos -
xxx

Janie said...

Wow, cool outfits, that'd be fun to dress up and swing a sword around once in a while. I wouldn't want to do it for a living however.