Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Sanuki Udon

Sanuki is the previous name for Kagawa Prefecture and udon is the special food here.  Sanuki udon is characterized by its square shape and flat edges, with a dashi (fish flavored) broth.


If you’ve been reading my blog long, you know that my favorite Japanese noodle is soba. There is even a soba festival in the town where I used to live.  Now that I am in Kagawa, I’ve decided to give Sanuki udon a try! 


The menu was in Japanese with no pictures, so I told the woman I wanted udon and I didn't eat meat.  She told me they had two choices without meat.  I recognized the name of the first as a type of seaweed.  The second sounded like kitsune (fox) to me. When I asked what that was, she told me tofu, so that's the one I ordered. 


I got this big bowl of udon for only 320 yen! I'm going to have to figure out what that kitsune word is so I can order it again.



3 comments:

Janie said...

Looks good, I'm ready for lunch! You've got good problem solving skills.

Lorri said...

I looked it up and it has to do with the "fox" color of the tofu. I looked up a kitsune, cooking ingredient

manami said...

Did you figure out kitsune? We call this kitsune udon because kitsune's favorite food is abura age(deep-fried tofu, which is on the udon). Looks so delicious!