Monday, May 27, 2013

What To Do With Too Many Point Cards

I wrote about the point card business here.  I only have a few and they fit into my regular wallet.  Ted has many point cards – too many to fit into his wallet, so I decided to make him a point card holder with some scraps from the yo-yo shawl and a piece from one of the kimonos I recently acquired.

I didn’t measure or calculate, I just worked from an idea.  I cut a bunch of one inch squares from the scraps of fabric I used for the yo-yos. I attached them in twos along the diagonal, cut off the extra, and pressed them open to make new squares.
 

I stitched the little squares together in a line and cut a rectangle from the sleeve of a black kimono for the body of the holder. Can you see the geometric pattern in the black fabric? Next, I made a slice down the kimono fabric, but not in the center, and inserted the strip of squares.

 


I lined it with some fabric from my stash and folded about a third of it up.  Next, I twisted three strands of #8 perle cotton into a thin cording and stitched it along the edges.

 
Two snaps will keep the point cards inside and it’s finished, all in a day. (I should say all in a day when the laundry and vacuuming didn’t get done.) The finished size is about 4 3/4 inches across and 3 inches high.  Ted likes his new point card holder and luckily for me doesn't seem to mind when I don't get the housework done.

 
 

No comments: